Well, er, I just maybe, er, realized that, uh, I haven't updated since January 27. That was kind of while ago, eh? Well, I'm here, now, and if you have been following the exciting story unfolding on Alex's blog, you may know some of what I've been up to.
First, the apartment. Well, it's like Christmas here in Fukuoka, in so many ways. Tomorrow morning we get to open up our apartment with our very own key and wallow in the glow of a beautiful 2LDK (2 bedroom apartment) that we were able to snag. Hopefully the image of our ¥200000 ($2000.00) cash being handed over to the nice Century 21 agent will have sufficiently faded; seriously, there have been very few moments where my eyes so resembled a puppy after accidentally swallowing it's favorite toy. Anyhoo, we have an apartment! Yay! Pictures will follow, along with those mysterious pictures of my beloved bicycle that I promised a month ago.
Why else is it like Christmas here in Fukuoka? First, re-read the sentence so that you are reminded of what Christmas was like in Fukuoka. So at Christmas, boys and girls who are smitten with each other get dressed up, go on dates and eat chocolate and swoon and coo. Meanwhile, the rest of the world rolls their eyes, trys not to gag, and generally dislikes the holiday altogether. Those young women without dates hide in their rooms with a box of Hagen Daaz and quietly weep. At Valentine's day, however, everyone seems jolly! None of that holiday hating stuff. I got boxes of chocolates from people I hardly know, and it is my job to buy Alex some chocolates for some reason. I suppose I can handle the pressure. I kind of like Valentine's day here. In March, though, White Day means that Alex has to let me know if he approves of me by buying me some sort of white food (white chocolate is a good sign; marshmallows mean sayonara). I suggested flour, sugar or, as he is a Nova teacher, crack. Please read Alex's blog for an explanation. Anyhoo, I'm just contorting words so I can tell you a story.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have been trying to deal with being either too busy or not busy enough. Last week, due to a few sick folks at work I picked up about 30 extra classes. Good for the pocket book, not so good for my feet and recovering body. Last week I, too, had a cold, but I needed the money more than the other ailing teachers, so I took one for the team. I tell you, the Japanese have some weird bugs! I'm better now, though, and have also recovered from loosing my voice to the kids last week. My job is great! Only a few crazy children!
As I am working here in Japan, it would be a good idea to have a work visa. That was today's mission, and in the visa part, I can hail my success. Next step: alien registration card. That didn't go badly, though I think that Japanese bureaucrats have taken the term "alien" slightly too literally. In order to open a bank account (step 3) and sign up for a better cell phone plan (step 4), I needed a alien card. That will take 2 weeks, though. In the meantime, the stapled a piece of paper to my passport that was supposed to suffice. What they neglected to mention was that I needed to apply for and pay for copies of an interim certificate that will prove I have an address and that I can use to open aforementioned bank account and cell phone plan. I attribute this oversight to the prevailing thought that all aliens can read minds. When you ask any questions, you get the most beautiful "duh" look that you can imagine. Yeesh. Anyhoo, the process, though certainly a little uncomfortable, is made easier knowing that I am, fortunately, from a well known and generally well-regarded country, white and a native speaker of English (definitely a step down from knowing Japanese, but Polish or Swahili would not get you very far here). I think I am going to volunteer at an International Centre when I get home. What an ordeal!
Anyhoo, I think I have compensated for the lack of writing in the last while.
Two more things:
1. Emiko is the most lovely and generously wonderful person on Earth. If you meet her, hug her, but try not to freak her out. ありがとうございます!
2. Good Luck Michelle!!! My darling and bestest friend (love you too, Car!) is abroad, or at least exhausted on a flight to Australia right now. Have fun, good luck and best wishes. Oh, and thank you for telling me that St. Albert trail is being renamed! I love that kind of news! Like knowing that V wing is torn down and stuff. Seriously, so strange. Anyhoo, go Michelle!
Take care all of you, and stay tuned for more adventure!
Love,
Joanne
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
nobody told me that v wing was torn down or that st. Albert trail was being renamed... well until now that is.
Your Christmas sounds marvelous my dear, as does your apartment and life in general.
I wish I had an apartment. Stupid dorm.
St Albert Trail is being renamed?! Ack. I've been in the middle of the Pacific for too long... And congrats on the new place!
I know! I am always so sad when I am not updated on such crazy things! The new place is not home yet, but we plan to get it up and going by next week. Whee! Happy dorming Crispy!
Post a Comment