Thursday, September 21, 2006

Far A Field

It's a beautiful, cloudy and cold day here in Field, but a little heavy on the beautiful. I am enjoying a day off where I have done absolutely nothing just yet, and plan to do little more until Danna and I head out for Yoga in Lake Louise later this afternoon. Since I last wrote, I have been busy hiking or recovering from hiking, cooking some of the best food I've had in a long time, and watching backyard intruders wander by. Now, in Lloydminster, these intruders were mostly Rig Pigs with an insatiable urge to either urinate in our yard or sell drugs in the parking lot. Here in Field, I enjoy occasional visits from bears or elk with the good sense and civility to urinate somewhere other than my yard.

Danna and I have been hiking up a storm, and during storms. Though usually limited to hiking after work (we are only open until 4:00 now!) we have been able to hike somewhere worthwhile every time we try. While Danna's 13 year old brother was visiting, we veritably flew up to Paget Lookout (an old fire lookout in western Yoho) and enjoyed the snow at the top. Unlike in Banff where tourists and residents enjoyed a good blanket of snow in town, the snow in Yoho has, as yet, remained on the mountain tops. We stayed a few minutes at the lookout, enjoying the feeling of suspension that comes with thick and low cloud hovering below you, and then zoomed back down the mountain to make creamy and delicious pasta.

As we ate this excellent meal, one of many that we've enjoyed thanks to our combined culinary genius, our muscles began to tug and tighten and we were soon aching but already looking forward to our next adventure.

A couple of nights ago, we visited a little glacial lake, Ross Lake, by ascending an overgrown, narrow path near Lake Ohara. Half way up, I asked Danna to look the other way as I humbly checked my cell phone messages since we had discovered a rare oasis of cell-phone coverage in Yoho. So for those of you wondering why I'm difficult to reach, that would be why. On the way down from the lake, we stopped by the old Great Divide Exhibit which is now visited more often by animals than humans. The access road has been left to grow over and provide a safe corridor for animals of all sorts, as we found our first hand when we noticed a bear about 200m up the tracks from us at dusk. We sang our hearts out as we walked briskly down the road and hoped that the bear would think we were nuts enough to leave us alone. Successful in our tactics, we headed home, sore again, and ever-so-happy to be heading back home to good good food, this time a pan of brownies.
So, to all you city folk, come on down if you have a chance. Even if I'm working, we can find excellent ways to spend our time. My parents are coming down to take me home on October 11 (no worries B and M!), but I'd be happy to see any of you pop by in the next couple of weeks as my time here ebbs much too quickly. Wishing you well from Field!

Love, of course,

Joanne

No comments: